MINUTES MVUDSS BOARD MEETING 2-13-19
IN ATTENDANCE: S. Baranick (SB); J. Hansell (JH); T. Jadwin (TJ); G. Stevenson (GS); R. Schemp (RS)
GUEST: R. Barnhart (RB)
1. AED (Defibrillator)
AED training clinic will be conducted by Mike Fagan on March 11.
2. Bob Kapeller Memorial Tournament – 2019
1) 12 (out of 22) teams have submitted their tournament fees.
SB extended the fee deadline by two days, from 2/17 to 2/19.
(Subsequent to this Board meeting, 3 more teams paid, leaving 15 of 23 (see red font below) having paid.)
2) TJ – HR Derby – will bring 4 doz new Rock softballs to tournament
3) TJ/JH – will bring Bob Kapeller memorabilia to tournament
4) Marv – bring a scoreboard to tournament
5) JH – has completed Bob Kapeller write-up
6) RS – Softballs – 3 doz new Rock softballs, 2.5 doz used Rock softballs – $55/doz new Rock softballs
7) RS – 50-50 Raffle Tickets – will bring to tournament
8) Schedule – tentative schedule completed; will be posted on website by the weekend before the tournament.
(Subsequent to this Board meeting, SB added a 23rd team. This came about as a result of a phone call SB received recently from John Spadea (JS), manager of Top Gun Patriots 70AAA, in which Spadea asked him about the tournament. SB told JS that he was at maximum of 22 teams and would put him on the waiting list. JS said that he didn’t understand, that he had sent SB an e-mail on 11/29/18 indicating that he was in the tournament. He forwarded a copy of the e-mail to SB. SB lost or misplaced the e-mail. Because this was his error, SB felt obligated to include JS’s team, which gets us to 23 participants.
Adding a 23rd team had no impact on scheduling. SB had to rearrange the schedule to start the tournament at 7:30 am (even if there had only been 22 teams) in order to get all the games in and vacate the fields no later than 5:00 pm, which is required by BLD. A full explanation of this is included in an e-mail on 2/18/19 from SB to the Board.)
SB will e-mail managers and umpires with their game schedule and unique tournament rules.
c. Projected net profit will be approximately $4,500.
3. 2019 Spring Season
1) RS – Softballs – 5 doz new Rock Softballs, 2 doz used Rock softballs, 1 doz BP softballs
Note: 4 doz of these balls will be used during BKMT3 HR Derby. SB paid RS, by check, for above balls.
League still owes RS $20 for 2 dozen BP softballs from last season.
2) SB updated Player Ratings on league website with board ratings for OOA players.
3) Schedule – The current revision (#5) had the spring season ending 6/17/19.
While still possible, that date is looking doubtful. Without vote, but by unanimous consensus, the Board approved extending the spring season ending date (tournament date) to July 1. This gives SB a little more flexibility in setting a new schedule.The
Board also unanimously agreed, without vote, to consider using Torrey Pines in the event BLD games continue to get rained out. If this field is used, only 6 teams, and three time slots will be considered.
There will be a pro-rating (TBD) of fees paid if the season ends up being shortened as a result of rainouts.
Another umpire to be added to current umpire staff. SB still waiting to hear from Jerry Smith.
4. League Players
On 2/8, Jack Buss (JB) (4) replaced David Woods (2) on Hankster’s Gangsters. JB has agreed to manage the team, replacing acting manager Eric Morrison.
On 2/8, Robb Braun (RBR) (5) replaced Brad Huard (4) (who replaced Bill McPhillips (5)) on Whitey Fjords. Manager JH has contacted RBR.