MINUTES MVUDSS BOARD MEETING 12/23/19
IN ATTENDANCE: S. Baranick (SB); J. Hansell (JH); T. Jadwin (TJ); R. Schemp (RS); G. Stevenson (GS)
ABSENT: R. Barnhart (RB)
1. 2020 Spring Season
a. Based on the Board vote (5-1) in the 12/13/19 Board meeting, a full re-draft will be done for the spring 2020 season, and a seventh (7th) local team will be added. In making this decision, the 7 local teams will have 11 players each, for a total of 77 players in the local re-draft.
The re-draft will take place on Friday, December 27, at Jack Buss’ Pizza Factory at 12:00 pm.
New draftees will include: J. Blanscet, F. Camou, R. Hellman, B. Herrera, M. Miller, J. Renwick, R. Reynolds, A. Shelley and J. Silva. All have been verified. J. Buchanan and M. Kerby will not be in the re-draft.
Four (4) current players, J. Birtcher, J. Guerrero, G. Venittelli, and M. Babb will not be in the draft.
b. In today’s Board meeting, the Board rated 77 players (72 + 9 – 4) as a prelude to the re-draft on 12/27.
c. The spring 2020 season will have 9 teams (7 local, 2 Out-of-Area (OOA).)
d. Managers – GS will replace Jack Buss as a manager. RS will manage the 7th local team.
All other managers from the fall 2019-2020 season will return as managers for the spring 2020 season.
e. Spring League Fee/Schedule/Projected Balance
- TJ indicated that the Monday league netted $740 from its participation in the recent Toys For Kids (TFK) tournament.
- Assumptions for the spring 2020 season: 2 DHs/local team; play on MLK Day; no rainouts.
- Based on the assumptions in 1.e. (2) above, SB motioned and TJ seconded that for the spring 2020 season, the Board approve a $45/player league fee; a tentative regular season schedule – January 13 – May 18, 2020; single-elimination tournament on June 1, 2020. Based on the $45 league fee, assumed expenses and the $740 received from TFK, SB estimates the league will have an $808 surplus at the end of the spring 2020 season. (The $808 includes a potential $45 for insurance for a 9th team.)
JH commented that this would be the highest surplus that the league has ever had and, unless there was a compelling reason to carry over such a surplus, he was not in favor of this. JH asked if consideration had been given to lowering the league fee to $40/player. SB stated that with a total of 101 league players, this would reduce the surplus by $505, leaving a balance of $303. TJ/RS suggested that some of the surplus be used to pay for a year-end picnic in the BLD parking lot. JH stated he is not in favor since not all players participate in this, and he wants any surplus that is used to impact all players.
SB rescinded the motion. He and others will give thought to this issue over next few days and will address it in the 12/27 re-draft/Board meeting.
f. SB raised the SSUSA 2020 Rule Change below that was adopted by SSUSA for 2020. SB told the Board, this is a rule that should be adopted for Monday league usage, but is basically benign in its impact. He asked for the Board’s approval to adopt.
Without vote, but by unanimous consensus, the Board approved the adoption of the below rule for the start of the spring 2020 season.
SB Summary of this rule:
4.7 SUBSTITUTES (paragraphs A. – C.)
A player is an unreported substitute (US) when umpire is not notified when a substitute enters the game.
Offense violation – if discovered by the defense,
a. after a pitch to US, no penalty
b. after US bats and prior to next pitch, US is out,
outs recorded on play stands,
runners return to base at time of pitch to US
c. after US bats and after next pitch, no penalty
Defense violation – if discovered by the offense,
a. after US makes a play and prior to next pitch, offense may:
take the result of the play or
last batter returns to plate w/ball-strike count prior to discovery,
runners return to base
b. after US makes a play and after next pitch, no penalty
A player is an illegal substitute (IS) when he’s not on the lineup card, improper rating, ineligible player.
a. Illegal Pitcher – ejected and all plays stand prior to discovery
b. Illegal Batter –
(1) during at bat: ejected, proper player takes his place at bat and assumes ball-strike count
(2) same as Offense b. above and IS ejected
(3) same as Offense c. above and IS ejected
c. Illegal Defensive Player –
(1) same as Defense a. above and IS ejected
(2) same as Defense b. above and IS ejected
1.3.8 ILLEGAL SUBSTITUTE – remove “unreported” from definition