MINUTES MVUDSS BOARD MEETING/SPRING 2021 PLAYER DRAFT – 2/23/21
BOARD MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE: R. Barnhart(RB); J. Buss(JB); J. Hansell(JH); R. Schemp(RS); G. Stevenson(GS)
BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: S. Baranick (SB)
MANAGERS IN ATTENDANCE: H. Alberts (HA); J. Buss (JB); J. Hansell (JH); E. Rushing (ER) R. Schemp (RS); K. Skidmore (KS)
1. Information for League Managers Regarding Spring 2021 Season
The following excerpt, in italics, from the 2/16/21 Board Meeting Minutes was sent via e-mail by SB to all managers. JH asked if all managers read this information. All indicated yes. As such, JH did not review all items, but did, briefly, cover items a.(3), a.(5), a.(6), a.(7), b.(1), and b.(5). JH also told the managers that the existing bases are at 60 feet and that we’ve been unable to find 65′ or 70′ posts. If we are unable to find these posts, we will, most likely, acquire non-stationary bases to be used. If we do utilize non-stationary bases, a “wet base” rule will apply due to a safety factor.
“a. At Fieldview Park – after much discussion, without vote, but by unanimous consensus of the Board, the Spring 2021 season will be held at Fieldview Park, Winchester, CA.
(1) For practical purposes, we will consider the games played at Fieldview to be a “practice” and not a “league”
Also, without vote, but by unanimous consensus of the Board, the following will apply:
(a) There will be no team colors.
(b) Umpires: no paid umpires; no umpire uniforms; hopefully, “volunteer” umpires can be utilized from the following tentative list: R. Barnhart, C. Pickett, D. Sternberger, S. Baranick, J. Hansell, H. Alberts, E. Regalado, E. Rushing, H. Alonzo, B. Jones
(2) SB has screen, mat, scoreboard that will be used for games
(3) COVID-19 safety measures will be utilized. These measures have been previously communicated to all players, and can be found on the MVUDSS website.
(4) There will be no league fees for the Spring season while playing at Fieldview Park.
(5) There appears to be sufficient street parking on Washington St., both in front of and across from the park.
(6) Because there is only one field, and no other place to “hit” on the complex, there will be no BP for the 10:30 a.m. and 12:00 noon games. Because of this, and potential parking limitations if too many players for late games “arrive early”, we ask that players for the 10:30 a.m. and noon games arrive within 15 minutes of your game time.
(7) There will not be a double base at first base. The batter-runner will be encouraged to run to the outside base spot, but will not be called out if he touches the inside base.
(8) There will be standings.
(9) There will not be any awards.
b. Spring season start date scheduled for Monday, March 1, 2021 at Fieldview Park (end date June 21, 2021)
(1) This will be a shortened 10-game season (with a 2-day season-ending tourney).
(2) Game times will be: 9:00, 10:30, 12:00.
(3) There will be 6 local teams with 11 or 12 players/team.
(4) There will be no out-of-area teams, but we may consider adding them on 5/3, start of Round #2, if BLD has reopened.
(5) Players must sign MVUDSS waiver on opening day, or when they first play if not on opening day. A player will not be permitted to play if he does not sign the waiver.
c. If BLD opens, and IF we move to BLD during the Spring 2021 Season:
(1) COVID safety measures will still apply. Refer to MVUDSS website.
(2) Players must sign BLD waiver, and pay league fee, as may be applicable.”
2. Additional Information Regarding Spring 2021 Season (Below not discussed at meeting)
a. Draft list, rosters with Spring 2021 player ratings, rules, schedule, standings files, and Player Finder will be updated with current draft information; and posted on our website.
(Subsequent to the board/draft meeting, these files were updated and posted on our league website.)
b. Directions to Fieldview Park (from 15 Fwy): CA-79N/Winchester Rd (toward Hemet), 2.5 miles, right on Auld Rd, 2.8 miles, left onto Washington St, park is on your left.
3. Managers’ Action Items – (Discussed with managers at meeting)
a. Have players read COVID-19 Safety Measures on our league website.
b. Have players sign mandatory Waiver/Hold Harmless Agreement on opening day or when they first play.
4. Players (as of 2/19/21) – (Below not discussed at meeting)
a. Of the 76 Spring 2020 Season Full-time players:
57 full-time local players returning IN; 11 OUT, 7 POOL 1 NO RESPONSE (Dario) = 76
3 full-time OOA players returning IN (“Milo”, Bobby Jones, Mark Aumann from NC) = 3
Of the 14 potential new players:
10 new players IN; 4 OUT 0 NO RESPONSE = 14
70 IN 1 NO RESPONSE
Of the 9 Spring 2020 Season Pool players: 5 returning to Pool IN, 1 (Buchanan) to new player, 3 OUT
5. Player Board Rating
RB requested that Bobby Jones’ board rating of “2” be re-evaluated. After discussion, and by unanimous vote, Jones’ board rating was changed from a “2” to a “1”.
6. Player Draft Order Selections
a. Playing cards, A-6 were, randomly, drawn to select the draft order.
Selections were: 1. KS, 2. JH, 3. ER, 4. JB, 5. HA, 6. RS. After the order selection, KS and JB traded draft order positions.
b. During the draft, two trades took place.
(1) HA and RS traded: Dan Milakovich (Milo), 65th pick (“6”) for Steve Jankowski, 55th pick (“5”).
(2) JH and KS traded: Lou Bratcher, 50th pick (“5”) for Rob Hellman, 57th pick (“5”).